Monday, September 21, 2009

Fall is in the air!


Watch out Gerber! I went to a local fruit and veggie stand last week just to pick up some sweet corn and walked out with the corn plus green beans, squash, carrots, and of course the above fresh flowers. Baby food for Mya and sunflowers for mommy! I know what you are thinking, "but Stephanie she isn't even 2 months old." My response to you...yes, but she won't stay this way and when she is old enough to eat real food all that great produce won't be in season anymore. Or you are like my mom you wonder why I don't just grind up whatever we are eating for dinner that night when the time comes. Well I have to admit that Jared & I don't have the best eating habits (though we are working on that) and I don't think that pepperoni pizza is an acceptable dinner for a 7 month old.

My plan...buy it fresh, cook it, blend it up, freeze it in ice cube trays (the perfect infant serving size), and then store it in freezer bags until she eats it. This way I don't have to worry about perservatives and will lower the chances of food allergies. Plus, it will save money. Not having done this before I was not aware how green beans multiple in the blender. I ended up with 156 servings of green beans, 104 servings of squash, and 84 servings of carrots! Hope she likes vegtables!!! I ran out of freezer room and had to start storing them at my mother-in-laws. If that isn't bad enough, I am going to try peaches and pears this week. Wish me luck!

0 comments: