Monday, August 3, 2009

It all happened so fast!

I am sure there are a few of you who are wondering what in the heck happened. One minute I am at work telling you no baby til Friday and the next you are recieving emails and phone calls that I had a baby. Well, that about sums it up.

I woke up at 4 am on Tuesday morning with contractions 8-10 minutes apart. They lasted until 7am and then stopped as quickly as they came. I had been having braxton-hicks contractions for several days, so I didn't really think that much of it. I went to work, still nothing. Went to my doctors appointment at 11am; I was dilated to a 3 and 90% efaced. But, I had been at a 1 for the past 3 weeks so we went ahead and scheduled an appointment to be induced at 8am on Friday since I was already 3 days past my due date. I went to my lunch appointment at noon and my contractions started again, this time about 30 minutes apart, still didn't think anything of it. Yes, I went back to work...what was I supposed to do, sit at home and focus on the uncomfortable "feelings" I was having? By 4pm they were back to 8-10 minutes apart and I finally went home, still not thinking that I was going to have a baby today. From the time Jared got home from work at 5pm to 8pm when we called the birthing center my contractions had jumped to 2-3 minutes apart. Jared was such a a great coach/cheerleader that I was able to get thru the contractions a lot better than I had anticipated. Good thing he paid attention during class! (They want you to go in to the birthing center when they are 3-5 minutes apart for an hour or more, well we skipped that step.) We checked in to the Mercy Family Birthing Center at 8:45pm, my water broke at 9pm. We started pushing at 9:50 pm (I was ready earlier, but we were waiting for our doctor to finish delivering another baby), and had her at 10:25pm. Women in my family don't mess around when it comes to delivering babies!

But it wasn't as easy as it sounds. For starters I was going all natural, no epidural, no drugs of any kind. Then, as soon as I started pushing they discovered that Mya was breech, meaning butt first. Usually they do a c-section on breech babies, however we were at the birthing center not a hospital, so no operating room. They gave me the choice of being transfered over to Mercy Medical Center across the street or deliver her there. I decided to stay and deliver her there since they had so much confidence in me.

WOW!!! I had no idea what I was getting us into. First off, NOTHING could have prepared me for delivery. Second of all, her heart rate started to drop and they had to put me on oxygen. There was no time for taking breaks between contractions. Up to that point Jared was able to calm me down when we were not pushing, but now the nurse and doctor had to get "firm" with me. When she did finally come out, Jared said she was white as the sheets and wouldn't cry. My doctor and the nurses at the birthing center were incredible. They worked on her right there on the bed for a few minutes so we could bond, but when that wasn't working they didn't waste any time getting her to the warming table with oxygen and sucking out all the amniotic fluid she had ingested/inhaled while coming out backwards. Within minutes they had her back in my arms. I am sure I am leaving a lot out, but like I said it all happened so fast.
This isn't the best I have looked, but at that point there was no shame in my mommy game!

1 comments:

Maggie said...

You totally rock! Knew you could do it!